Saturday, March 28, 2009

This week was the annual Tulsa Workshop. I look forward to it every year. It's always a great way to see old friends and get a recharge. This year I was very excited to get to volunteer at Workshop Central, and I thought it would be a great chance to see if some of the other young moms in our Bible class wanted to volunteer with me and we would have a chance to get to know each other better and maybe have lunch together or something. Well, no one signed up with me and Thursday morning I was feeling sorry for myself and missing some of my old friends in Ft. Gibson that would go with me anywhere any time I asked them to. Side note: I went to the doctor the day before and I have a sinus infection so I wasn't really feeling great to begin with.

I decided to suck it up and enjoy the days ahead with or without friends along side me. It turned out to be better than I ever expected it to. Both days that I volunteered I got to visit with some older Christians that I attend church with but have never had the chance to meet or talk with. It made me miss my Grandma Kelley and all the wisdom and quiet faith she had, and how after every visit with her I had such a peaceful feeling. Visiting with these older Christians left me feeling refreshed and new and made me see things from a different perspective.

Jonathan and I were talking about my experiences over the past few days and we got to talking about how much we, as young Christians, need the guidance and wisdom of older generations. Maybe even just the quiet and peacefulness they seem to have. We talked about the way classes are set up these days everyone grouped together by ages we miss out on so much that the older Christians could and should be teaching us. I wonder how we can correct this? I understand the importance of meeting together with others our own age, but I need the guidance from those older and wiser than me. Maybe it's just me, but I feel I would be a much better Christian if I had that.

6 comments:

Julie said...

You could join a multi-generational small group (or whatever you want to call it). We really enjoy being with "older" Christians. Plus, you know Chris is 50 years old anyway... :)

jessica said...

We don't have that. We are split up by class in small group too.

Anonymous said...

On Wednesday night this quarter the women and men have separate classes. The women are studying Esther and I have enjoyed hearing our older women's comments. We tend to divide by age, too. (can you believe your mother-in-law is talking about older women! It just shows you never think of yourself as older.)

Janet

mamallday said...

I truly wished I had just braved the weather and went! I really enjoy the older women as well. Going to the brunches, dinners, retreats. I've picked up so much on. I'm looking forward to the retreat coming up!

Shelly Collins said...

No, I don't think you're the only one. I feel the same way about older generations. You're right about the peace that they carry. I spent some quality time with my grandmother last night and there is just now way to explain how enriching it is. Maybe God is stirring this up inside of you because he know's how beneficial it is to learn from "older" Christians. I hope you can find an outlet.

See you tomorrow at Amy's?

sheridan said...

I loved this post and loved what you said about the older women. I'm sorry I wasn't there to sit with you and talk without the distraction of kids. There is so much to learn from our elders. I know Donna is getting a mentoring program in the works which I'm really looking forward to.