Sunday, October 15, 2006

My Newest Project

Anyone that knows me can tell you I love to stay busy. Most of the time I like to have two or three things going on at the same time (anything to keep from staying at home and cleaning). I do try to focus most of my "projects" on church related activities. I am one that loves to start new things. I love dreaming something up, planning it out, preparing for it, then actually seeing it happen successfully (well most of the time!). It is so rewarding.

So, I have been thinking about this for a long time and am finally going to follow through with it. My cousin attends a large church that offered a frozen cooking class. I thought this was a great idea. I wanted to put more of a focus on the importance of family mealtime. I went to the Focus on the Family website and found some interesting studies on family meal time. It said only one-third of families in the U.S. eat dinner most nights together. One study showed when teens ate with their family at least five nights a week they were less likely to be on drugs, to be depressed, and to be in trouble with the law. Another study followed a group of sixty five families for an eight year period. They found eating family meals together to be more valueable for development than playtime, school, and storytime. So now I am convinced this is a good thing to start in our home town. Not only will this encourage families to eat together, but it will give me and several others from our church a chance to meet others in the community and invite them to get involved in our church.

I am so excited to start a new project! If anyone has any great recipes that can be frozen I would love to try them.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

You do like to stay busy, that is for sure;) I will be following your new project and can't wait to hear how it comes along. Our family ate together at least 6 nights a week and I think that is one of reason that keep us together. I believe in family meal times too. Now only if I could get a kitchen table.

Jeny said...

You may want to e-mail Phylliese Sawyer. She cooks and freezes for their meals. I am sure she has great recipes and ideas to share!
jeny

Anonymous said...

Stephanie (the preacher's wife) has a receipe book with items to cook and freeze. I need to get some ideas from her to give you. I'm a firm believer in families sitting down and eating together. Of course now that the kids are all grown, Joe and I eat in front of the TV. Oops! (have you all recovered from our fun weekend?!)

Grandma Janet

jessica said...

I think we have pretty much recovered. It really helped having Jonathan off on Monday to kinda get everything back in order.