Friday, August 01, 2008

Beware!!

I just want to share this with everyone so if this happens to you at least you'll have a plan. Yesterday afternoon about 12:30 our house almost got broken into. With me and the three kids there! It caught me so off guard I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to share this but I think I needed to warn others to be on guard.

I was fixing lunch and the kids were very loudly playing in the living room and the doorbell rang. I never go to the front door when it rings I always go to Joel's room and see who it is and if it is a labeled car they are driving. This guy was wearing a "wife beater" and his boxers were hanging out of his pants about six inches. I thought, I will just let him ring the door bell until he just leaves. I gathered the kids up and took them to my room and told them to sit quietly. The guy just kept knocking and ringing the doorbell for maybe 3 minutes and then the car that was parked across the street and two houses down moved in front of my driveway and two more guys got out and came to the door. They all began ringing the bell, beating on the door, and jiggling the door handle. I yelled at them "I'm not going to open the door!" I don't know what I thought that would help. I didn't know at that time I could call 911 for that type of situation. I know now that is perfectly fine. I also could have set off our house alarm but it is in the small living room directly off the entry and we didn't have blinds over that window. For some reason I didn't want them to see me. After what seemed to be an hour but was actually about three or four minutes they kicked the door really hard and then ran off. We didn't realize then but later when the police arrived to take a report he noticed when they kicked the door it busted the door frame if the dead bolt had not been set they would have been in my house at that time. Even with the dead bolt the police man said it would have only taken one or two more kicks. I felt so helpless to think ten more seconds and they would have been in MY home with me and my three kids. What would I have done.

I am writing this not to scare anyone or make you lose sleep for fear, but to empower you to be prepared should anything like this happen. Please have a plan!

10 comments:

Jenny said...

SCARY!! When you tell people this story do they automatically tell you what they would have done? It is easier to think what you would do ahead of time instead of in the moment!

Glad everything turned out fine and they didn't get in. Prayers are coming you way for peace of mind.

*hugs!*

Audrey said...

Wow Jessica! I can't imagine. Thanks for telling us and reminding me what we should do.

Cheryl said...

I'm glad that they went away and everyone is OK. How scary!!!!

Shelly Collins said...

Yikes. So what's your plan now if it happens again? You (me) always assume this type of thing wouldn't happen to us - but it's possible. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I had the same thing happen when I lived by the church, except I could see somone else hiding in the bushes waiting for me to open the door! I called 911, but they were gone before they got there! It sounds to me like you did all you could of done!
Niki

Shelly Collins said...

I LOVE this pic and it looks great as a header on your blog. A splash pad sounds fun to me too! Let's talk later this week and decide :)

Anonymous said...

I am glad Lita had replaced the front door with a steel instead of wood door. Hopefully these guys have some brains and will not return.

I love your new layout!

Janet

Gina said...

Oh how scary!!
I am so glad you are all okay.
Gina

Dana said...

How terrifying, Jessica! I'm so glad you guys are okay.

sheridan said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe this! I would have FREAKED OUT!!! You sounded so calm in the email. I'm just reading this and going to talk to Clint tonight about what I should do. What did the police say?