Thursday, November 09, 2006

Poor Gravy

Well I'm afraid we are going to have to put good old Gravy down. He got out of our fence last night and almost killed a little dog, of course it was the other dogs fault. This other dog is always out of his fence and comes to Gravy's fence and teases him knowing Gravy can't get out. Gravy has never gotten out before, and all we can think is that some kids must have gone back there to get their ball and forgot to shut the gate.

As I was coming home last night I saw Gravy and the little dog starring each other down. I yelled at Gravy to come to me and he backed up a little and the other dog jumped at him. That was it for Gravy, he attacked. I ran in to get Jonathan to come and break them up. Gravy wouldn't listen to him so Jonathan hit him until he let the dog go. Our neighbors said the dog was okay just sore.

What really scared us was that Gravy wouldn't listen to Jonathan. We have always thought he may have a little pit bull in him and after seeing how Gravy had the dog by the neck we are convinced he does. So we just can't keep him around our children. He has been such a good dog we just hate to do this but we have no other choice. Everyone knows how attached Jonathan gets to his pets (Pride), and I'm afraid Jacksen is going to be the same way. He just cried and cried when we told him what we were going to have to do. So I'm afraid we have a long night ahead of us.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

SAD! That is a hard thing to go through for a little guy like Jacksen.

Audrey said...

Jessica,
I totally feel your pain. We had to put our dogs down last March for attacking our neighbors goats. It was the hardest thing I have ever done. I couldn't get the link to work but, I wrote about it on March 22, 2005. I know it was absolutely the right thing to do but, it is still so hard. I will be thinking about you guys. Take Care!

Amy said...

I talked to Jonathan about this today and also asked some of the vets today at work about it. Gravy was just protecting his territory, which is very normal. Also, just b/c he is dog agressive doesn't necessarily mean he is people aggresive. Pitbulls are known for there "lock jaw". Once they lock down, it is almost impossible to unlock there jaw. To be honest I am shocked that he didn't kill the little dog. I don't particularly care for pit bulls but they do have some good qualities about them. They are very loyal and also very protective of their family. I would be so torn if I was in your shoes. But, if I thought there was a possibility he could hurt one of my children, I wouldn't hesitate putting the dog to sleep. I will be thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Poor Jacksen. That is why we told Jonathan that Sparkles went to another home. He was just like Jacksen with our animals. I don't think Gravy would ever hurt your children but I think there is a strong possibility he would hurt their friends, thinking he was protecting "his pack."

Grandma Janet

Shelly Collins said...

I'm so sorry Jessica. We'll be thinking about you and the whole family.